The private name of Sikar was Veerbhan Ka Bass. This village was founded by Veerbhan Jat of Khichar clan. Sikar was known as Veerbhan-ka-baas in ancient times and it was under the rule of Nawab of Fatehpur. The Kachwaha Rajput ruler of Amber Raja Udaykaran handed over the Jagir of Barwara along with 12 villages to his son Bala, who is considered to be the person from whom Shekhawats have descended. In 1430 Bala died and his son Mokal became his successor. Mokal left the Jagir of Barwara and settled in village AmarSar. Mokal got son here with the blessings of Sekh Burhan so he named his son as Shekha(Real Name: Seshmal alias Shesha or Shekhaji). Shekha had 360 villages in his rule. The center of Shekha was Amarsar (earlier Amara-ki-dhani).Shekha’s son Raimal and his son Raisal had supported Akbar in his campaign of attack on Gujarat. During Akbar’s second attack on Gujarat, Raisal’s son Tirmal impressed Akbar by his bravery and Akbar awarded the title of Rao.
Tirmal’s son Gangaram made Kasali as his capital. Gangaram’s son Syamaram and his son Jaswant Singh made Dujod as their capital. The ruler of Khandela had enmity with Jaswant Singh so he killed Jaswant Singh. Later to have friendly relations the Khandela ruler gave the Jagir of Veerbhan-ka-baas to Jaswant Singh’s son Daulat Singh. Daulat Singh changed the name of this village to Sikar in memory of Rao Shekha and constructed a fort here in 1687. In 1721 Daulat Singh’s son Shiv Singh became ruler of Sikar.